If your breath smells bad, you know how troublesome it can be for your daily interactions. Of course, we want to get rid of bad breath. As always, we need to understand the causes of the issue before figuring out the solutions for it.
The causes of bad breath
What you eat
I think it’s fair to say everything bad comes from the mouth. Jokes aside, your mouth is the first stop of all the foods you eat. When you consume dishes with heavy odors from garlic and onion, that smell won’t really go away even after you brush your teeth. The cycle only ends once the food has passed through your inner system.
There are a few bad habits you seriously need to quit if you want to get rid of bad breath quickly (1):
- Lazy with brushing your teeth. If you don’t brush and floss your teeth twice a day, particles of food will remain stuck on the teeth, the gums, and the tongue. How can your breath smell good if you have bacteria growing in your mouth?
- Smoking. Giving up on smoking will bring many benefits to your body. Cigarettes stain your teeth and irritate your gums, which prevents you from being confident in conversations. Oh, it also does harm to your skin.
- Gum disease. The cause is the build-up of plaque on your teeth. The bacteria give the toxins a chance to develop and irritate the gums. If neglected, the gum disease will even damage your jawbone.
- Dry mouth. This medical condition limits the saliva production. Saliva keeps your mouth moisturized, neutralizes plaque acids, and helps to wash the remnants on the inside of the mouth. Malfunction of salivary glands, medications, or simply breathing itself can cause dry mouth.
- Respiratory tract infections. The causes vary – bronchitis, postnasal drip, diabetes, chronic acid reflux, pneumonia, liver or kidney problems,…
How to get rid of bad breath?
Set regular appointments with your dentist
He or she can perform an overall checkup as well as teeth cleaning. Aside from keeping your teeth pearly white, it will help you detect health issues as soon as possible.
Maintain good hygiene
- Brush your teeth twice a day to clean them from plaque and debris. If you want, you can even keep a brush with you to use after lunch at work or school. Fluoride toothpaste will be great!
- Get a new brush every two or three months.
- There are interdental cleaners and flosses to be your assistance.
- Rinse your mouth with an antibacterial mouthwash after brushing.
- If you use dentures, remove and clean them before bedtime, so they will be fresh as new when you put them back in your mouth the next morning.
Smoking or chewing tobacco, both are really bad for your health. You can discuss with your doctor for advice to kick on the habit.
A sufficient dose of water will keep the mouth moisturizer. Chewing gum and keeping candies in your mouth isn’t a bad habit if you don’t consume too much! Products containing xylitol are the best.
What ingredients get rid of bad breath?
- Antiseptic and analgesic. Clove is effective in removing the impure remnants and soothing the pain from dry socket.
- Reduce bacteria. Unlike antibiotics and mouthwashes, the clove doesn’t aim to kill all the bacteria. In fact, bacteria should be encouraged to an extent, so microorganisms can grow. Also, harmful bacteria don’t develop resistance against clove oil as it does to antibiotics.
The first impression you have about parsley must be a pleasant scent. Additionally, the chlorophyll content is likely to have a deodorizing effect. People even chew parsley after each meal to keep their mouth free from the lingering odors.
Peppermint is too popular in products for mouth and teeth. It has an amazing and refreshing fragrance that can neutralize the unwanted smells and help to get rid of bad breath, but it also has strong antiseptic properties to kill germs and prevent tooth decay.
A Recipe to Help Get Rid of Bad Breath
- Clove powder: 1 teaspoon
- Water: 2 cups
- Parsley: 50 grams
- Peppermint oil
- Mix the clove powder with water.
- Cut the parsley into pieces and add the mixture above before blending them all into a smoothie.
- After brushing your teeth, use 50ml of this drink (add 2 drops of peppermint oil) to gargle your mouth. Don’t brush again, so the remedy can fulfill its mission.
With this recipe, you will get rid of bad breath and regain your confidence in no time! If you like our article, consider hitting the subscribe button for more natural and efficient beauty recipes!