There are many reasons why your lips end up darker over time instead of remaining soft and pink. Usually, a lip gloss won’t cover the unwanted discoloration. In this article, we will learn about the causes and a few recipes to lighten dark lips for you.
The causes of dark lips
The most common cause of the darkening is hyperpigmentation, specifically a plethora of melanin, and it’s not a harmful condition. (1)
It might have been triggered by your habits:
- Sucking on the lips
- Too much of toxic components like caffeine and nicotine causes melanosis.
- Allergies against products like toothpaste and lipstick
- Sun exposure increases the production of melanin.
With that being said, you can adjust your lifestyle by using another cosmetic brand, cutting on the harmful intake, wearing sunscreen,…
There are other medical factors as well:
- An excess of fluoride use
- A lack of vitamins
In this case, you will need medical treatment to counter that and lighten dark lips. However, we always go for a natural remedy if it’s possible.
Can we lighten dark lips?
- Exfoliate: The primary step in every skincare method is removing the dead skin so your remedies can absorb to the underneath layers and nurture them. Use a high-quality lip balm overnight and rub off the dry skin when you wake up.
- Avoid sun exposure: Especially when you start using a recipe for pink lips with a strong bleaching agent like lemon. A lip balm with SPF ingredients will protect the thin skin of lips from UV damage.
- Limit the toxins: The surrounding environment has a lot of factors that are harmful to our skin, such as pollution, chemicals, smoke. Give up on smoking and avoiding inhaling the smoke will enhance your health and your beauty tremendously.
- Remove your makeup before bedtime: Wearing makeup overnight is not good for the skin at all, especially the lips, which are more sensitive and vulnerable.
- Know your cosmetics: Not every product is the same. Cocoa butter, coconut oil, shea butter can protect and moisturize your lips, but ingredients like camphor make your mouth dry and chap. (2)
Ingredients to Lighten Dark Lips
The aloin in aloe vera helps fade the dark lips due to its depigmenting property. This succulent is rich in water content, which will moisturize your tiers aside from making it pink again.
Coconut oil works whenever there are dry skin and fine lines involved. The components in this essential oil allow it to be a powerful moisturizer and keep your lips soft all the time.
Lemon has strong bleaching and exfoliating abilities. Its juice can remove dead cells and encourage the creation of new cells. The acidic property will reduce the dark shade and return the original pinkness.
Honey and sugar
We have another natural moisturizer here. It thickens the mixture as well as acts as a scrub to exfoliate the lips, making it easier for you to store and use.
It boosts the regeneration of skin cells and the circulation of blood for a soft feel.
As much as we should avoid using essential oils directly on lips, it’s absolutely fine if we make a lip balm or lip mask out of it. The oils will keep your lips moisturized and form a layer of protection against external sources of damage.
Recipes to lighten dark lips
Aloe Vera for pretty lips
- Aloe Vera: about 10cm
- Coconut oil: 2 teaspoons
- Vitamin E: 2 tablets
- Essential oil: 3 drops
- Remove the skin and use a spoon to get the succulent.
- Blend the aloe vera well before adding the coconut oil, vitamin E, and essential oil.
- Apply and wait for 20 minutes, then rinse with clean water.
Lemon for baby pink lips
- 1 lemon
- Honey: 1 teaspoon
- Sugar: 1 teaspoon
- Vitamin E: 2 tablets
- Squeeze the lemon for its juice and the tablets for the substance.
- Add honey and sugar before mixing it well.
- Apply and wait for 5 minutes, then rinse clean with water.
With enough knowledge and a little bit of time, you will get your kissable lips back without spending dollars on glosses in hope of glamming up. Another worthy advice is, do NOT be disappointed if your lips don’t look like what the lip-tint advertisement promises since your inner system and skin tone might be different from the model.