If you are looking for a way to soften rough hands, you have come to the right place! You don’t need to go see a doctor right away. After all, our hands are the busiest body part as we pull through a day. Almost every activity we take part in requires us to use our hands. There are many gifts from Mother Nature that can breathe the liveliness into your hands once again.
Everything about Dry Hands
Most of the time, dry hands come from environmental conditions. In winter, your hands might feel like all moisture has left them. Even on a daily basis, if your work requires frequent washing or exposure of the hands to chemicals, it will happen. On a more difficult level, the reason is your health, and it will be more complicated to solve.
What can you do to soften rough hands or, even better, prevent it from happening?
How to soften rough hands?
- Moisturize. Build a habit of applying hand cream every day so your skin won’t lack moisture.
- Use gloves. Not only during winter, but you should also put gloves on when you wash dishes or immerse in water and chemicals too often.
- Prescription cream. If your hand skin is extremely scaly and dry, the experts might recommend special lotions with lactic acid or urea. They are stronger than the common ingredients we use to treat the dry skin.
- Medication. For severe eczema, maybe medicine is the only way to go. You would want to have professional advice and prescription for steroids to apply or antibiotics to take by mouth.
- UV light therapy. This method should be strictly for serious psoriasis. Of course, you need to talk to your doctor first.
- Relieve stress. Unexpected, but the level of stress you deal with might have some relation to eczema. Therefore, you might see development if you let yourself relax once in a while.
How to prevent dry hands?
If the reason is your work condition, don’t forget to bring a bottle of lotion with you and make sure your hands are moisturized throughout the day. For suggestions, the lotion should include glycerin, aloe, cocoa butter, jojoba oil.
Additionally, you should also avoid excessive heating sources like dryers or fireplaces. Obviously, the heat will further dry out your hands.
Ingredients to soften rough hands
Lemon is a superstar in the fruit world, especially when it comes to beauty recipes.
- Astringent. It tightens the pores and results in a smoother texture.
- Exfoliator. The antiseptic property allows lemons to remove dead skin cells and spare room for nutrients to penetrate the layers and nourish them all.
- Antioxidants. Lemon fights against free radicals effectively and keeps the skin tone even.
In many cases, your hands feel rough because the surface of the skin is too dry. However, even though the top layer doesn’t have much life in it anymore, the flakes won’t go away if you don’t do something about it. Sugar or a scrub made of sugar will be the exfoliator you need. The softer layers of skin will be able to breathe and interact with the products you use. (1)
- Protection. Coconut oil creates a protective layer on your skin and blocks the harmful components from attacking your hands.
- Moisturizing. After the exfoliation, it’s totally normal if your skin feels a bit dry. There’s nothing to worry about though! Coconut oil is a great moisturizer to soften rough hands.
The vitamin puts its most popular benefit for skin in use: boosting collagen and promoting the growth of new cells to give your hands a brand-new appearance.
How to soften rough hands?
- 1 Lemon
- Sugar: 1 – 2 teaspoons
- Coconut oil: 1 tablespoon
- Vitamin E: 1 tablet
- Squeeze half of the lemon for juice and mix with sugar.
- Pour the coconut oil into another bowl and mix with vitamin E.
How to use it?
- Use the other half of the lemon to rub the lemon-sugar scrub all over your hand. This gentle friction will help you get rid of the dry flakes of skin. Be patient and massage the hand for 5 minutes before rinsing off with water.
- Apply the second mixture and leave it on overnight for the maximized results.
If you follow our suggestions to soften rough hands, you will get your baby skin back in no time! Be sure to check out our other skincare recipes and stay beautiful!