Are you curious about the miracles of turmeric for skin but unsure if you want to try it due to the color and the possibility of reverse results? Then you need to know the details of its nutrient content and risks, as well as the ingredients that go well with it in beauty recipes. Let’s start!
Benefits of Turmeric for Skin
Turmeric has been a popular supplement in many beauty and dermatology products. The key to its benefits is curcumin, a component with antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. However, modern studies have revealed more beneficial uses of turmeric for skin. You will be impressed!
- Healing ability: With the curcumin content, turmeric can reduce oxidation and inflammation. This way, your wounds tend to recover much more quickly. Not only that, but curcumin also performs positive effects on collagen and tissue.
- Contribution to a natural glow: When your dermis is well protected, the aforementioned antioxidants and inflammatory components will focus on providing luster to the skin. We all want that natural glow instead of relying on cosmetics!
- Resistant against psoriasis and scabies.
- Limit acne scarring: You might have known about turmeric’s efficiency in acne treatment, but what makes it stand out is its capability in fading scars and returning a flawless skin to you.
Nevertheless, nothing is perfect. There are also risks you should be aware of when using turmeric for skincare. If you happen to be allergic to turmeric, direct contact will cause irritation and swelling. It’s recommended to test the powder or the product on your forearm first and wait for 24 – 48 hours. You can be at ease and start using it for your face. (1)
While we tend to avoid eating too much rice due to its richness in nutrients, we don’t want to miss out on the myriad benefits of rice flour for skin. (2)
- UV resistance: rice contains agents like ferulic acid and allantoin, which can convert into a natural sunscreen. Sunburns aren’t a concern either, since rice powder is also anti-inflammatory.
- Exfoliation: Do you notice the rough texture of rice flour? That’s why it will be excellent as a scrub to remove flaky, dead cells, and absorb the sebum. Your skin will be clean and ready for a recharge of nutrients.
- Skin whitening: Rice is a traditional remedy for skin lightening. It has enough vitamins and minerals to clear the dermis and brighten the tone.
Most of the lemon’s benefits for skin come from its vitamin C content and acidity.
- Treating acne: Acidity leads to astringent and anti-inflammatory properties. Lemon can cleanse and tighten your pores, preventing the dirt from sneaking in and forming pimples.
- Collagen boost: Vitamin C can reduce free radicals that destroy collagen and result in fine lines.
- Skin lightening
Like other citrus fruits, lemon can trigger irritation and increase the damage of sunburn, so you should avoid getting direct exposure to sunlight.
- Enhance skin tone: The emollient property has the potential in improving the appearance of the complexion.
- Acne treatment: The fatty acids in almond oil can dissolve the unwanted sebum on your skin and control the formation of acne. The content of vitamin E allows it to reduce scarring as well.
- Decrease sun damage is another ability of vitamin E.
We also ‘reunite’ with our usually used ingredients: rose water, honey, essential oils, aloe vera. They are all great as moisturizers and nutrient supplies for the skin.
Recipes with Turmeric for Skin
1. Turmeric mask for skin whitening
- ½ lemon
- Turmeric powder: ½ teaspoon
- Wash the rice, preferably with clean water, and cook it.
- Use the blender for the cooked rice to obtain a mashed, smooth texture.
- Mix well with lemon juice and turmeric powder.
- Wash your face before applying this mask and leaving it on for half an hour before rinsing it off.
2. Turmeric cream for skin lightening and anti-aging
- Honey: 1 teaspoon
- Almond oil: ½ teaspoon
- Rose water: 1 teaspoon
- Rice flour: ½ teaspoon
- Turmeric powder: ½ teaspoon
- Aloe vera gel: 2 tablespoons
- Mix honey, almond oil, and rose water.
- Add rice flour and turmeric powder and stir for a smooth paste.
- Pour in the aloe vera gel and mix well.
- Apply to your face and wash after about 3 – 5 minutes. Use this mask 3 – 4 times per week before bedtime.
You can store the spare in the refrigerator for up to 20 days.
3. Turmeric Serum for skin glowing
- Aloe vera: 10- 15cm
- Argan oil: ½ teaspoon
- Essential oil: 10 drops
- Turmeric powder: 1 teaspoon
- Remove the aloe vera’s skin and use a spoon to scoop out the succulent. Don’t hesitate to utilize the gel and leave no waste!
- Blend the aloe vera and take 4 tablespoons to mix with the oils.
- Add the turmeric powder and stir for smooth substance.
- Use a cotton pad to apply the serum on your face before bedtime.
You can store this serum for 2 weeks in a cool and dry place.
Now, which recipe of turmeric for skin would you like to try first? Don’t forget to share your experience with us! Last but not least, every skincare product is bound to make your skin more sensitive against UV rays and harmful factors. Practice a habit to cover yourself from sunlight and take care of your skin regularly!